Friday, October 7, 2011

Somebody's Chelsea

Met an old man yesterday
Next to me on a westbound plane
He said "I was married sixty years
I swear it feels like she's still here."
Then he took out a picture

Staring at that black and white
The tears filled up in his eyes
I said "You were a lucky man."
He said "I feel like I still am."

When he told me her name
I heard myself say...

I wanna be Somebody's Chelsea
Somebody's world
Somebody's day and night
One and only girl
A part of a love story
That never has an end
You know that's what every woman wants to be
Somebody's Chelsea

He made me laugh when he talked about
Their first date and her father's doubts
He said "Even as her hair turned gray,
She still took my breath away."
And that it never changed with time
That's when I closed my eyes

I wanna be Somebody's Chelsea
Somebody's world
Somebody's day and night
One and only girl
A part of a love story
That never has an end
You know that's what every woman wants to be
Somebody's Chelsea

................................................................................................................................................

Last night RH and I had a great talk. It was one of those that makes you really think.
Somehow we got on the topic of what we want out of life as far as relationships go.
If you couldn't tell from my last post, I've been hurt multiple a few times as has he.
So we're both somewhat skeptical about getting into another relationship. Hence the "taking it slow" approach we're taking with this. Anyways, I told him that my multitude of bad luck with men doesnt come from me being "scared of commitment" like most people think. It's that I know what I want and deserve and I refuse to settle. And he agreed. But then the question was asked, "Well since you know, what do you want?"

He told me all about how he wants a woman who is trustworthy and that he can be comfortable with.
But then I started to really think about what I wanted. For the longest time I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. And I thought it was simple, love me, be honest with me, and dont cheat. I mean how hard is that?
But then I REALLY thought about it, and I want so much more than that. It's still simple what I want.
I want to be "somebody's chelsea" as the song above says. It's Reba's new song and it just put into words exactly what I was thinking.

It's a song about an older man who has lost his wife, but he is still so in love with her. She was his partner, his best friend, his love, his wife, his children's mother, his grandchildren's grandmother, his life, his world, his everything.

I want that. I look at my parents who have been together for about twenty years. They are just so madly in love still after all this time. It's beautiful. They are just so comfortable together. They know everything there is to no about each other. They're still affectionate towards each other. They're still so goofy together. They still know how to make each other smile. The biggest signs of love that made me realize "that's what I want" when I watch them was when his father passed away. She knew exactly what he needed from her. She knew not to say anything but to just hold his hand. When he cried she knew not to look at him. She was so strong for him but at the same time compassionate for him. And then when her grandmother passed a few months ago he was strong for her. He knew when she needed to be held and when she just needed to hold his hand. He knew when to be close and when to let her be. It's just so awesome to see the two of them together.
Not to mention the fact that they're amazing parents. I know sometimes we clash but all in all I wouldnt trade them for the world. They're great role models. And even if I didn't always like or understand their rules growing up, I know now that they're doing it in the best interest of me. They're there for us kids when we need them. They tell us no when we need it. They laugh with us and hang out with us, but they also know when to draw the line. They give advice but they know when to not say anything at all. They're the most amazing people I know
^^if you're reading this, its from the heart not a kiss up lol^^

That's what I want in a relationship. I want to have that closeness where there just isn't another person in the world. I want to have a best friend but the love of a lifetime. I want someone who will love me all the days of my life. Someone who will still think I'm beautiful with grey hair. Someone who will be a good father to my kids. Someone who will protect me. Someone who understands me even when I'm being weird. Someone who knows when to hold me and when to just let me be. Someone who sets my heart on fire everytime I see them. Someone who can give me butterflies even after 20/40/60+ years. Someone who tears up when they see me walk down the aisle at our wedding. I want someone who loves me unconditionally. Someone who keeps my best interest at heart always.

When I find him, I'll marry him. Promise you that :)

What do you want?

Play Pretty <3

0 comments: