Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lemonade

Just the other day I was at my cousin Val's house
And her friend SB was over.
She told me about how her boyfriend broke up with her
Because she wouldn't "give into him" if you know what I'm saying.

When she told me that she told him no because she wasn't ready
you can imagine how freaking ecstatic I was!
I told her how proud I was of her for making that decision and it was nothing to be ashamed of.
If anything he should be ashamed for acting so childish.
But she was just so upset because she "thought they'd be together forever"
She is only 14.

Hearing her talk about it, and asking my advice about what to do
made me think about all of my not so lovely ex's.
How  I was "so in love" and how we were going to "be together forever"
And then fate turned and things ended.
And how upset I was every time because I thought life was just over.
But having this conversation with her made me recap on all of them and then think of where they are now.
And truth be told
"some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"
Is probably the truest statement I've ever heard.
I am so glad it never worked out with me and any of them.
Now, in all fairness, they aren't all bad.
Some of them are terrific people.
Just not for me.

So let's do a slight recap of different guys that I've dated and where they are now.

7th grade is where the "boy craze" started.
All through middle school I would only "date" two guys.
One of which is a "thug" and on drugs.
The other has been in a mental institution.

i kid you not.

Then in highschool in no particular order I dated a few wackos.
One guy was a bit older than me. He now has a baby with a girl who hates him and lives with his parents.
Another guy I dated is strung out on all kind of drugs. He also has a baby by some girl.
Three guys I dated joined the military and are now married.
All three of these are amazing guys and they have gorgeous, sweet wives!
Then there was the psycho who told me he would kill me when I dumped him.
Let's just say that didn't end to well for him.
One of the guys who was a football player "stud' type of guy is now married, working at wendy's, and has a HUGE beer belly.
Oh and another guy I dated has a lovely beer belly he's sporting around too.
Then there's the guy I had THE biggest crush on in 9th grade... He's a hair dresser.
I also dated/liked a few sweet guys.
One of which in particular stands out in my head.
He's an awesome guy and such a sweetie.
He went to The Citadel and is making great things out of his life :)
Then there's the "high school sweetheart"
Let's just say, great guy, not so great together.

Post Highschool I've only had two relationships.
One was a train wreck.
He isn't a bad guy but he is a terrible boyfriend.
He's moved on and is doing great things with his life.
Then there was the engagement.
Bless him.
That man is the sweetest, caring, loving, most amazing man I think I've ever met.
But just something about the relationship just wasn't meant to be.

Needless to say I haven't had very good luck in the relationship department.
But then again if you think about it I have.
They may not have been the greatest but they helped shape me into who I am today.
And I'm so blessed for all the things I've learned about life and about myself through these relationships.
And I'm perfectly happy with where I am now.
I'm glad everything turned out the way it did.
And I made sure to tell SB these lovely stories.
We all shared a good laugh about it but I hope it helped ease her pain as well.

Even though relationships end and we think it's the end of the world and life is over,
God has a reason and a plan behind it.
So just put your faith and trust in him that you'll get through it.
And one day you'll thank him that he let it happen to you.

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"



Play Pretty
Kristen

0 comments: